Media Center Student Workers
We are pleased and grateful to have students willing to help out in the media center!
Involving students the management of our school media center provides students with a number of valuable workplace experiences, as well, develops a sense of ownership and school pride through direct involvement in maintaining an excellent resource for everyone in the building.
Duties include, but are not limited to, providing technical support to and answering questions from faculty, staff, and students; basic to intermediate troubleshooting on a wide variety of topics; documentation; detailed records keeping. Student workers learn to be detail oriented, gain a good knowledge of basic computer applications, including Microsoft Office, Windows, and major browsers. Students develop through their work in the MC good written and verbal communications skills. Customer service skills, punctuality, and working well with co-workers are as desirable qualities students develop through working in the media center, all traits employers look for outside of the academic environment.
Other skills and attributes student glean from working in the MC are:
- Staying current with technology issues and with all departmental resources on a regular basis is required.
- The ability to show initiative and excel in a fast-paced environment where strong commitment and time-management skills are necessary is critical.
- The ability to manage a changing workload, remaining productive, and being able to display and maintain patience, courtesy, and professionalism even in stressful situations is essential.
- The ability to adhere to a wide range of policies and procedures, including security and confidentiality.
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills